Friday, June 15, 2007

Fighting Fire with Fire

Today, yet again, someone sent me a chain letter in my email.

I loathe chain letters. I've blogged about them. They're evil. They're vile. They're a waste of time. They clog up mailboxes. They make impossible promises and fill your head with touchy-feely nonsense. I'm sick of receiving them, and I think it's rude and impolite of folks to send them around to their friends out of some superstitious and selfish sense that they're going to improve their own wellbeing. And yet, my cries to have people stop sending them to me have gone unheard, unheeded. I am still receiving them. And I have noticed that the recipient lists only seem to be getting larger.

So I've capitulated. But I've decided to do it with a twist.

Every time someone sends me one of these damned things, I'm going to send them a link to my blog post about chain letters. And I'm going to CC everyone on the list.

So now, admittedly, I've become a hypocrite. But only for a short time. When I'm satisfied they've gotten the message, I'll stop. Until them, it's on, baby. Bring it!

2 comments:

pinkeerach said...

lol. i know exactly what you're talking about! i've started "replying to all" with some article from snopes.com or some other urban legends site describing the ridiculousness of whatever chain letter/spam e-mail that's been sent. eventually, it hasn't exactly stopped people from sending them to me, but perhaps it stops them from forwarding it on again.

Mike Hofer said...

Good for you. I think it's about time we all waged war on all this chain mail nonsense. It's all crap anyway. And I'm sick of wasting my time on the virtual equivalent of cyber-roadkill.